The National Science and Technology Innovation Leading scientist is one of the sub-items of the National "Ten Thousand Talent Program", which supports 3000 people, about 300 in each batch. The selected persons are scientific and technological personnel and scientific research management personnel who are in charge of major scientific research tasks, leading high-level innovation teams, leading national innovation bases and key disciplines. The research direction belongs to the key areas established in the outline of national medium and long-term scientific and Technological Development plan, and the research work has great innovation and development prospects.
Dr. Bailong Xiao, a PI at Tsinghua University School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, IDG/McGovern Institute For Brain Research, was selected as "National Ten Thousand Talent Program" scientific and technological leading scientist.
Ion channels are fundamental membrane proteins that regulate the flow of ions across cell membranes and control cell excitability and function. Inappropriate channel activities caused by either mutations or abnormal physiological regulations underlie the etiology of numerous pathologies (collectively known as channel- opathies). Thus, an understanding of their structure and function is likely to lead to the development of new therapeutics. Our laboratory is interested in investigating the structure-function relationship, physiological and pathophysiological roles of the so-called sensory ion channels such as temperature-activated Transient Receptor Potential (TRP) channels (thermoTRPs), Calcium Release Activated Calcium (CRAC) channels, and the newly identified mechanically activated Piezo channels. These channels can function as receptors for touch stimuli including temperature, chemicals, and mechanical force, and consequently govern the sense of touch. By focusing on char acterizing known sensory channels and identifying novel ones, we aim to better understand the molecular and cellular mechanisms of the sense of touch and pain and other related physiological processes such as inflammatory responses with an ultimate goal of identifying novel therapeutics. Techniques employed in our research include molecular biology, biochemistry, single cell or high-throughput calcium imaging, electrophysiology, siRNA or compound library screening, generation and behavioral analysis of transgenic mice, etc. Positions for postdoctoral fellow, graduate student and technician are available in our laboratory.
Our current research focuses aim to 1) comprehensively characterize the newly identified mechanically activated Piezo channels; 2) unravel the physiological relevance of the thermosensitive STIM1/Orai-mediated CRAC channels; 3) identify novel mechanosensitive or thermosensitive ion channels/receptors.
[Education & Experience]
2013-Present PI, IDG/McGovern Institute,Tsinghua University
2013-Present PI, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tsinghua University
2013-Present PI, Tsinghua-Beijing Universities Center for Life Sciences
2007-2012 Postdoctoral Research Associate, The Scripps Research Institute
2007-2012 Visiting Scientist，Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation
2001-2006 Ph.D., Cardiovascular and Respiratory Sciences, University of Calgary
1997-2001 B.S., Dept. of Biochemistry, Sun Yat-Sen (zhongshan) University
- Qiancheng Zhao, Heng Zhou, Shaopeng Chi, Yanfeng Wang, Jianhua Wang, Jie Geng, Kun Wu, Wenhao Liu, Tingxin Zhang, Meng-Qiu Dong, Jiawei Wang, Xueming Li*, Bailong Xiao*(2018) Structure and Mechanogating Mechanism of the Piezo1 Channel. Nature (Article) 2018 Feb 22;554(7693):487-492. doi: 10.1038/nature25743. Epub 2018 Jan 22.
- Yanfeng Wang, Shaopeng Chi, Huifang Guo, Guang Li, Li Wang, Qiancheng Zhao, Yu Rao, Liansuo Zu, Wei He, Bailong Xiao* (2018) A lever-like transduction pathway for long-distance chemical- and mechano-gating of the mechanosensitive Piezo1 channel. Nat Commun 2018 Apr 04.
- Tingxin Zhang, Shaopeng Chi, Fan Jiang, Qiancheng Zhao, Bailong Xiao* (2017). A protein interaction mechanism for suppressing the mechanosensitive Piezo channels. Nat Commun. 2017 Nov 27;8(1):1797.
- Yubo Wang, Bailong Xiao* (2017). The mechanosensitive Piezo1 channel: structural features and molecular bases underlying its ion permeation and mechanotransduction. J Physiol. 2018 Mar 15;596(6):969-978.
- Jie Geng, Qiancheng Zhao, Tingxing Zhang, Bailong Xiao* (2017). In Touch With the Mechanosensitive Piezo Channels: Structure, Ion Permeation and Mechanotransduction. Curr Top Membr. 2017;79:159-195.
- Qiancheng Zhao, Kun Wu, Jie Geng, Shaopeng Chi, Yanfeng Wang, Peng Zhi, Mingmin Zhang, Bailong Xiao*(2016). Ion Permeation and Mechanotransduction Mechanisms of Mechanosensitive Piezo Channels. Neuron. 2016 Mar 16;89(6):1248-63.
- Jingpeng Ge, Wanqiu Li, Qiancheng Zhao, Ningning Li, Maofei Chen, Peng Zhi, Ruochong Li, Ning Gao*, Bailong Xiao*, Maojun Yang(2015). Architecture of the mammalian mechanosensitive Piezo1 channel. Nature. Nov 5;527(7576):64-9.